Friday, May 1, 2009

Because The Incentives To Work Are Long Gone

There were a lot of perks two years ago when I started working at my current job- (yes, today is my two year anniversary and I am not expecting a thank you, let alone a cake)-summer Fridays, bonuses, actual salaries, staff lunches, plastic silverware, etc. Perhaps my favorite though was the "Hit of the Week" gift card that was fought for every Friday at the weekly staff meeting. Whichever employee had the greatest results that week walked away with a $100 gift card.

The previously listed perks have all been taken away without any analytical information backing them up, but the hit of the week card stayed...that is until Monday. It has been reduced to $50 in order to save a profitable company (in the millions) $3,000/year.

Now, you may say stop complaining, Nicole, you can still win $50, but this is no win. What used to be a fun Friday activity has turned the remaining broke employees to immorally begging, fighting and desperate for a fucking $50 Visa Vanilla gift card that isn't even accepted at most places. It is actually more of a burden to receive it. Let's think about all the things I can't get:

-Groceries, tomorrow's hair cut, a bikini wax, a ride to Newark airport Tuesday, Ambien CR, the hardcover Jenny Holzer book of Truisms at the Whitney, another tattoo, a decent bottle of Jack Daniel's--aka anything worth purchasing.

Instead the card must be put towards something (a usual complete meltdown for cashiers nationwide) or used piecemeal for sandwiches at Pret.

I got paid yesterday and have $200 leftover after bills to last the next 15 days and did I mention I will be in Europe these days and they don't accept gift cards overseas? Please, anyone out there, hire me. I will organize your closet, watch your dog, spoon-feed your drooling grandpa. I'd even work for a "good job."

This post is depressing, and this is why I am broke.

No comments:

Post a Comment