Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Because You're An Academic

It wasn't too long ago (maybe a few months) that Erin and I had a conversation about why it can be so hard for academics to find a new job. Growing up it was all quite simple, if you studied and worked hard, you got A's in school. There was always a way to advance yourself through more reading or additional work. The real world is unfortunately nothing like that.

I don't network. I don't kiss ass. I don't join clubs. I don't sleep with people to advance myself. My parents are middle class, non-professionals who worked and sacrificed for all that they have.

I was born a writer, went to NYU and had fabulous internships. As I get older, it seems the only place that hard work and a brain does pay off is in the classroom. Most of the people I have worked with, especially the ones I most recently reported to, were and remain complete idiots. Yet they still have jobs because they have no shame, pride or book list that doesn't contain the latest Dan Brown novel.

It's not a pretentious, self-absorbed rant--it's fucking annoying...perhaps that's why most people who like to read and write continue as professional students, because being smart actually works then. John Galt, where are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment