Thursday, May 14, 2009

Because You Remembered Your Dream

For the past several years, I was living without goals. I had done it all-worked for Rolling Stone, been published in the NY Times, excelled at NYU, went all over Europe. I thought there was nothing left to conquer, but the growing number of books on my Amazon Wish list.

Maybe it took getting laid off to start motivating me again. I just wish it came with some fucking severance. Today, however, I remembered that teenage dream. I had lunch in the NY Times' building and I remembered...

I saw the rows of desks, the fresh copy, the red pen edits and I remembered...I wanted to work at the NY Times. They are no longer hiring--nor would they hire someone my age, but it was nice to feel again. I also realized that should I seriously pursue this dream again, I would be beyond broke. I would have to build my way up at a local paper--or worse, freelancing and begging for bylines at outrageous publications like New York magazine or Gawker that would completely demoralize me.

So you are broke if you go for your dream and you don't have a trust fund or second job, which believe it or not is harder to find than a first in this city...sigh..at least I got to sample their sushi.

No comments:

Post a Comment