Thursday, April 2, 2009

Because You Believe in Bono More Than God



Did I ever tell you about the time I saw U2 under the Brooklyn Bridge? An intern at Rolling Stone at the time, I took my building ID and walked into the press area like I was the shit (with a film camera around my neck). As the gates opened, I ran. Boy, did I run. With two herniated discs, that would be near impossible now, but it was like running to the temple of Buddha. You can even hear me screaming on the live CD. At least that's what I tell myself. Also, The Edge sweat on me.

I once slept with someone with no top or bottom teeth, because if I closed my eyes he sounded like Bono, just a poor Irish boy off the boat from Dublin. I probably even called him Bono in bed once in hopes that his ED would diminish. It didn't.

So U2 and the messiah himself, Bono, are on tour now. It is bad enough they are making New Yorkers go on a bus to the wasteland that is New Jersey to stand in the baking summer heat at Giant's Stadium where the over-priced beer gets cut off at "half time." But to make the only acceptable seating $250?! My co-author and I contemplated this before remembering we have rent and utility bills to pay. We should have taken it though, as according to the NY Times those tickets are now going for $10,000 as scalpers bought them in bulk (some artists even buy them themselves and sell them at high rates, though I refuse to believe Bono Allah would do such a thing).

Read it for yourself:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/01/arts/music/01tickets.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=online%20ticket%20sales&st=cse

Why does my savior Bono need this kind of money? He must certainly have a sunglasses sponsorship by now and what about all those RED products I buy? And who in their right mind would travel to NJ (unless you live in NJ...God...or Bono bless your soul) for last row seating?

This is a recession, goddamnit! You know you're broke when God even screws you...

No comments:

Post a Comment